Thursday, February 3, 2011

Jesus Camp

Dear whoever reads this,
     "Jesus Camp" was an interesting movie which had its positives and negatives.  I really think that children should be exposed to the Word of God and Jesus's love.
     I don't think that they should be trained in a "school of evangelism".  They are kids.  If they love God, I don't think that they necessarily need to be trained evangelists.  If they want to be, that's great.  I don't think that should be forced, though. 
     Some of the actions that the children performed while during their worship services seemed very staged.  Sudden colvusions, or speaking in tongues, etc done on cue or when mentioned seemed trained or staged. 
     I really don't like it when people are all about the day they got saved.  Yeah, Jesus saved me when he died on the cross 2000 years ago.  Jesus has saved us for a while now.  You might just be now realizing it.
     I don't think because you are Christian, you should be homeschooled.  I think that children need to be exposed to different types of people and beliefs.  I think it could help you solidify your beliefs, but without facing other beliefs, you cannot use any of that knowledge of your belief.  I do agree with what they were teaching about global warming though! 
     I don't think you can command anything in the name of Jesus that is an inanimate object. 
     Like how a kid's mind can be numb with theories of evolution, a kid's mind can become numb to Christianity.  Kids especially need to experience different beliefs to be able to choose what they would rather believe even though there is only one truth.
      I don't like that the kids only wore Christian clothing.  It can become sort of obnoxious.  Being Christian does not mean you have to be routine in your daily life in your acts.
     I thought it was interesting that they prayed over electrical system.  I do not pray over my electrical systems.  I guess I just trust God to make the systems function properly without my asking. 
     Okay.  I am not sure what the lady's problem was with Harry Potter.  First of all, he is a wizard not a warlock.  Second, Harry Potter is fiction.  Last time I checked, that means it doesn't really exist.  So any theoretics about the certain death of a certain fiction figure do not make sense. 
     Some statements that were also made I thought were a bit of a stretch.  Like "ghost stories do not honor God."  Hello.  Show me the first or when you became God please.  I would like to know.  Honestly ghost stories may be a little more accurate than you think.  Those "ghosts" could be demons or angels.  Those exist.  There are many ghost stories then in the Bible.  So yeah.  That is my stance on that. 
     Okay, what genius invented a font that looked like blood?  That is one of the several things the lady in charge used that were a little extreme.  Some others might not think so, but I think intense trying to scare someone is not a way to the Bible.  If you are scared into a faith, it is not faith.  It is more of a temporary thing.
     Okay, there is no "spirit man" inside of you.  There is the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit is divine, not flesh.
     Swear words are not against the Bible.  What it does say, though, is not to make your brother stumble by the things you do. 
     I must admit, I have never before seen a Jesus cheer.  It is interesting.  I am not trying to be all negative, but it is interesting.  How different would the New Testament be if the disciples were cheerleaders?  That would be awesome.  There would be so many cheer wars!  It would be like Bring It On Jesus style.  Let's do it.
      Little girl, God is everywhere.  God is in the worst of places and the best of places.  (in wordly opinion, of course, of what the best and worst is)  You can worship God any way you want.  I am not saying your way is wrong, but I am saying that more than one way can be right.  Some people enjoy being more quiet and silently praying than being loud and shouting the Lord's name.  It is just a people difference. 
     Okay now.  There is a little thing I like to call separation of church and state.  State is not apart of the church and church is not apart of the state.  This has been around for over 200 years.  Nothing new.  Because you are a Christian is not a reason that you are Republican for instance.  I have some friends that live in Dallas that are Catholic and Democrats.  They have nothing in common.  Faith values should influence your decision of party, but one party isn't the "Christian" party.  If this isn't true, let me know.   So breaking a cup because of the government's lack of Christian values, I don't think is too accurate.  Separation of church and state.  There are definitely things the government is doing wrong, I agree, but smashing cups or worshiping a cut-out of George Bush isn't going to solve anything.  When they had the George Bush cut-out, I was pretty convinced they were about to attack it or torch it or something after the smashing of the cups.  I like, though, that they care about the leaders in this world and don't just bash them like so many of us do.  I think these Evangelicals were a little too involved in all of the political ideas.  They are kids.  They should be playing Ninja or Power Rangers or Barbie Super Model Fashion Show or something.  They can play with Jesus dolls!  I just don't think they need to worry at 7 years old about our national debt, wars, etc. 
     I think that they are totally right on that abortion is bad.  I think also that the kids don't even grasp what abortion is though.  They see at objective murder like if I randomly killed one of my friends for no reaosn whatsoever.  They don't see the subjective side of it.  Sometimes the reason is because of a mistake at a teenage age.  I am not pro-abortion!  That is not my point.  My point is that you must see all sides of the spectrum to achieve an accurate view point from which you can defend yourself. 
     Okay, will someone explain to me why the guy with all of the "Life" stuff was rocking the entire time the group was in front of the Lincoln Memorial?  Thanks! 
     I understand what that group was protesting.  Abortion is bad.  I agree.  The way they were trying to convince others, though, was not very effective and practical.  We need more Republicans (who are usually anti-abortion) in the Senate and in the House to make a change.  Campaigning might be a better use of time or talking to schools about what abortion is so it will happen less. 
     Okay, back to the lady.  Do not ever admit to brain washing.  That is like admitting to murdering someone.  Well, you should admit, but in the world's perspective... You get my point.  She admits to brain washing to the radio host and she is proud of it.  I think that she has good intentions definitley.  I think she slightly misleads them and goes a little too far.  That is because she is passionate though.  She wants there to be more Christians.  That is good.  The way she is doing it might not be the best method. 
     Now onto the subject of Ted Haggard.  It really bothered me that today in class everyone completely said he was a terrible person, etc.  Okay, I know pastors are supposed to be like super leaders, but everyone messes up.  No sin is worse than another except for blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. It is in the Bible. 
"Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." - Luke 13:2-3 (NIV, 1984)
I think we need to make a change in the church in the America but mostly in the South.  We are so focused sometimes on what the sin is but not on how to make the situation better.  We all sin.  Jesus says so.  If you are accusing someone or making fun of someone because of their sin, you are pretty dumb.  You could probably think of a sin that you have done in the past day easily.  I know I could.  My hope is that, starting with this class, we not be so quick to condemn but quick to love.  We all sin and fall short of the Glory of God. (Romans 3:23)  This is my message and hope.  To close, I want to end with Jesus's words because they are perfect and holy.
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
   3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."  - Matthew 7:1-5
regan henry

2 comments:

  1. haha. I liked the Jesus cheerleaders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regan-
    Your post was extremely long. Yet it was appropriately long becuase you did a great job interacting with the movie. I am very impressed with your points, and even convicted. I find myself making cracks about Ted Haggard, mainly because I want to distance myself from sinful actions because it hurts Jesus' name. But like you said, we are all sinners and one sin is all it took to separate us from God. We are not following Jesus' commands to love and not judge when we attack people (made in His image) who fall into public sins, or sins we think are grosser than others. This is especially true in the South, as you pointed out. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete