Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Secret Millionaire at Skid Row

Dear whoever is reading this,
     First of all, four day weeks are so wonderful.  It has made this week so much more bearable.  On to the the topic.  I think that Secret Millionaire is generally a good show and has good ideas.  The question is always about the millionaire's motives to give.  If they want to give for Jesus, that is wonderful.  If they want to give "because it feels good," like John Ferber, that is not the best reason.  In the end, though, people are being helped and being equipped to succeed.
     I really liked Armein.  He was a really good guy who loved helping people and had a great servant's heart.  I was so impressed when he took off his own shoes to help someone else and to provide for their needs above his own.  That is just an amazing portrait of God's love.  I thought the hygeine bags where such a good idea.  It is one of those things that is probably overlooked but is so important.
     Skid Row really surprised me.  So many of the people were so kind despite what they did or did not have.  Some people were the kind of people who did bad or illegal things that landed them there, but that wasn't the case for all.  Some were victims of domestic violence and had no choice but to live on the streets.  It was terrible and it made me so sad that so many people had to be abusive.  There were so many people who had so much potential and saw the light in these things.
     I loved the 3-on-3 basketball program because it helped so many people.  It mentored to people and gave them a great activity to give them motivation to do something with themselves instead of staying where they currently are.  It wasn't about winning or losing.  It was about learning and doing something.  The amount of people it helped was surprising and astounding.
     The Alexandria House was really inspiring.  It was all about providing and teaching skills.  I was so glad that they took care of women who were victims of domestic violence because those people are probably overlooked a lot.
     I really enjoyed this show. :)
regan henry
    

No comments:

Post a Comment